Monday, June 27, 2011

Thanks for stopping by!

Welcome to Crispy Living. It's an online journal documenting my family's shift from a "mainstream" to somewhere short of "crunchy" lifestyle - first up is food. And we're starting from square one. 

Mainstream living is what I would define as a typical American lifestyle - consuming foods and goods that are marketed to us because, well, that's all we know. We grew up this way. It's comfortable. It's easy. It's "normal." Mainstreamers don't question and have a false sense of security that someone out there (government? food authority? smart people in a room somewhere?) is watching over them.

Crunchy living is the complete opposite. Bucking trends, traditions, and conformity, a crunchy lifestyle is composed of doing exactly the opposite of a mainstream family. But crunchies can go to the extreme....sometimes just for the sake of going extreme. It's not always practical or even smart.

Crispy living, however, is finding a happy medium between the two. It's finding the balance between what is practical and what is not. It's navigating the modern world we live in and reminding ourselves that there is no single authority protecting us from harm.  And it's realizing that what we thought we knew, might actually be killing us. In a nutshell, being crispy means being smart. It means being skeptical and asking questions. It means not falling prey to mass marketing - damn you McDonald's fry commercials! But it also means not jumping off the cliff to, well, extreme crunchiness - I will not be making my own breastmilk yogurt, thank you very much. 

So I'm inviting you into our little experiment as I navigate my family towards Crispy. I'm thinking it's probably going to be a bit painful. Probably a little trainwreck-ish actually. But I've got my eye on the prize: a happier, healthier, well-rounded, and solid family life. Join me on my adventure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment